[OPLINTECH] RSS reader and integration

JKENZIG JKENZIG@cuyahoga.lib.oh.us
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:02:57 -0400

=20
I personally like Feedreader since it is so simple to use.  Basically
you install the program and then find the feeds that you want and put
the xml url into feedreader.  All you need do is when you come to a page
that has the xml logo on it right click on it and choose copy shortcut.
Then past that link into feedreader. http://www.feedreader.com/

Another cool way to set up feeds is with My Yahoo  personalized page, if
you have a yahoo account while using yahoo you can right click on any of
their news items and say add to My Yahoo.  (note google is also starting
personalized pages that let you add RSS feeds. Go to
http://www.google.com/ig )

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: oplintech-admin@oplin.org [mailto:oplintech-admin@oplin.org] On
Behalf Of Karen Perone
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 1:29 PM
To: OPLINTECH
Subject: [OPLINTECH] RSS reader and integration

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit that I don't get this
whole RSS reader thing. I understand the concept of news feeds dropping
updated info onto your computer. I understand that the orange RSS box is
supposed to allow me to subscribe somehow. I also know that without a
reader of some sort, clicking on the orange box give me a screen of XML.

So, now what do I do? What readers do you folks use? Is there a simple
way to incorporate the news feeds with my local homepage that I use on
my browser?  Netscape 7.2 is my current with Firefox second and IE a
distant third choice.

Can I set up a blog or RSS feed for my library locally on an IIS box? Or
is it best to use an online site like blogger?

Help.
--Karen Perone, Rodman Public Library