[OPLINTECH] Floppy disk problems

Phil Shirley pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Fri Jul 28 09:54:39 EDT 2006

We also have patrons bring us floppy disks that used to work on our
public computers but don't anymore (W2k says the disk is unformatted).

Some questions for everyone:

1.  Does any library out there sell flash memory drives to patrons (or
have plans to do so)?  We sell floppies only (50 cents each).

2.  Can anyone recommend a source for inexpensive flash memory drives?
(I know NEO-RLS is considering a group purchase of these for their gold
members.)  The $5-10 price that Avery mentioned (below) is very intriguing.

3.  Even when we encourage the use of flash memory drives and discourage
floppy use, some people will still want or need floppy drives in our
public computers for a while.  What's the best way to make these work as
well as possible, in addition to cleaning the drives regularly?  Would
replacing the floppy drives on our older computers be a good idea?  Most
of our public computers are at least 4 years old, and we're not going to
be able to replace the computers soon; I see that you can get a Sony
floppy drive for under $20.  It seems pretty labor-intensive to make
adjustments to our old floppy drives as described in one of the links
someone provided, and they may be rather worn anyway.

4.  When a patron comes up with a floppy disk that our W2k computers
used to be able to read but can't read anymore (they say the disk is
unformatted), our Win98 computer can often read some or all of the files
on it.  I assume that Win98 is just more forgiving of disk errors, but
does this point to a different problem than the misalignment/etc. that
has been described here?

Phil