[OPLINTECH] Open Office

Eric Maynard emaynard at holmeslib.org
Thu Mar 16 15:11:41 EST 2006

Lynne,

ISO files are what are referred to as image files.  If you were to make
an exact copy (aka "image") of a CD and desired a way to store or
transport that copy, one of the formats for doing that is ISO.  It has
other uses as well, but you can mainly think of it as a easy way to
duplicate and transports a CD image.

My guess is that in some cases, like for certain computing platforms,
the Open Office ISO file may be zipped with compression tool because of
it's size.  That's probably the "unpack" part.  It worth noting that the
full MS Office Suite itself comes on multiple CDs and that is what Open
Office is comparable to.  So it's understandable that downloading an
entire CD for Open Office could take some time.

At any rate, once you have the ISO file (or CD image), you will need to
copy (also known as burn) the image to a CD.  Once you have it on the
CD, you can insert that into any open Office compatible computer and
install it just like any other program CD.

Hope this helps,

Eric Maynard
Technology Associate,
Holmes County District Public Library