[OPLINTECH] Wireless service to our patrons with our OPLIN service?

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahoga.lib.oh.us
Tue Mar 28 10:24:22 EST 2006

Denise,
The thing to do would be to buy a wireless router that has a wired
switch and use what is called NAT (network address translation) The
router will dispense internal natted IP addresses for you for patrons.
You will want to get this router configured to only pass HTTP/HTTPS
traffic (port 80 and port 443)   You would plug your existing
workstations into the wired switch and wouldn't need to buy cards for
them.

There are various antenna's that you can get to put on your roof or in
ceilings to extend your reach from the router.  At CCPL we have worked
with a few cities to get them to help cover the cost of these
undertakings. I would recommend you contact a cisco rep to help you with
configuring and obtaining the correct type of equipment.

Answers specifically are
1. yes you can
2. Wireless cards would not be necessary if you bought a wireless switch
or router with internal plugged switch ports
3. If you don't want to offer wireless out of your branch in the evening
you would have to power that off, we don't power any of ours off and
offer it 24/7.
4. Depends on how big and type of an antenna(and quantity of them) you
put in and where.
5. You should use Nat'ed internal IP addresses (either a 10. range or
192. range) via DHCP assigned as guest which will work on any wireless
device.

Here is our Wireless access page for your perusal
http://www.cuyahogalibrary.org/usinglibrary/Technology_Services/WiFi.htm

And a great document on the ABC's of Wireless from PC Magazine.

Your integrator should be able to help you configure and set up but it
really isn't as daunting of a task as you might think.

Hope this helps.
Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library