[OPLINTECH] High Speed Internet Question

Craig Heaton heatoncr at oplin.org
Tue May 2 09:53:54 EDT 2006

While it is true that cable does offer consistently faster speeds, there are
DSL providers that provide very fast, basic DSL service.  At home I recently
switched from cable (Adelphia) to DSL (Zoomtown) and was anticipating a
significant drop in speeds.  I was pleased to learn that the drop wasn't too
significant.  My cable averaged 4 Mbps while my DSL has been running at
2.2Mbps (and appears to be more consistent.  The slowest DSL speed I've
benchmarked so far was 1.7Mbps while the cable sometimes dipped as low as
1.2Mbps during periods when they likely experienced peak usage of their
network).  The gist of this is...DSL companies vary.  You should check your
provider(s) out...you might be pleasantly surprised.
   Craig Heaton, System Administrator, Clermont Co. Public Library