[OPLINTECH] Open source, open shop

Steve Miller millerst at oplin.org
Mon Apr 2 08:29:39 EDT 2007

All,

For those of you with boxes running Linux, or even a windows box with
Mozilla, what influenced your decisions to become an 'open source' shop?

We're looking at a steep hardware replacement season (over-and-above an
even steeper ILS migration decision - thank you sirsi-dynix!), and I'm
hem-hawing over a) stay the course with Windows, b) feather in some
Linux boxes, c) throw 'em all out and go open-source.

I know little about Linux, so that's my big concern from a security and
support point of view.  At least in Windows, I know enough to know what
*not* to do.

Right now, the big reason to go open-source is $$$ - I can replace a
fleet with a shared-linux solution for 15k-20k, or with Vista Business
boxes for 65k+.

Any thoughts from heads wiser than mine?

Thanks!
Steve

Steve Miller, Technology Coordinator
Ashtabula County District Library
335 W. 44th Street, Ashtabula, OH 44004
millerst at oplin.org
(440) 997-9341 x239 / fax (440) 998-1198
Opinions expressed are my own.