[OPLINTECH] Maxing out our T1

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Aug 22 19:03:53 EDT 2007

For most of my public library and school clients, I use IPCop, an
excellent open source firewall solution that incorporates a HTTP caching
proxy (squid) and traffic shaping capabilities, along with a slew of
other features. In it's base configuration, it can easily be installed
on old, recycled hardware if you need/want to. There are a number of
third-party extensions, but specifically there is at least one extension
that will incorporate HTTP filtering. I plan to investigate that
solution for CIPA compliance in the very near future. Being open source,
the software is all free. It IS based in Linux, and some knowledge in
that area doesn't hurt, but you don't need to know anything about Linux
to install and use it. There is a very comprehensive HTTP interface for
configuration and reporting.

To date, while I have a number of clients that have a similar (and
larger) number of workstations, I haven't had anyone complaining that
they have used up their bandwidth. However, that may be traced to patron
behaviors. You may have a larger number of consecutive video streaming
patrons. I've noticed that for whatever reason certain libraries seem to
have more patrons that stream video than other libraries (regardless of
network use policies.)

For those interested:  www.ipcop.org

Chad

Ps. I'm just a user (and recommender) and have nothing at all to do with
the IPCop project, forks, or extensions.

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --