[OPLINTECH] iTunes/iPods on public computers

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Sun Dec 16 10:35:32 EST 2007

As always:
To stimulate discussion and benefit everyone, it's important that nearly
all responses go to the list and not directly to the original poster.
This post, especially, is beneficial to most libraries I expect.

At present, none of the libraries I support have a specific policy in
place with regards to iPod/iTunes software and accounts. However, as a
blanket policy, patrons are generally not permitted to install programs
on the workstations. To that end, the patron machines are "locked down"
with group policies and with Deep Freeze installed (for extra
protection). At present none of the patron workstations currently have
iPod/iTunes software installed.

However...I've been seeing a tide change over the last year or so (few
years, even...). Completely locking down the patron desktops is becoming
less sustainable and less desirable. In the interest of flexibility for
the patrons, I'm even considering leaving the desktops generally open
and relying on Deep Freeze for restoration to a known state.

I am open to the possibility of installing iTunes software, perhaps with
a disclaimer displayed and letting the patrons have at it.

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --