[OPLINTECH] My first failed attempt at a Vista upgrade... The home PC

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Wed Jan 31 08:01:50 EST 2007

Thought I would pass this along to the list .. This is my most recent
blog entry on my blog at http://kenzig.blogspot.com
There are some good useful links for Vista here.  I did install a clean
version of Vista last week on a Dell GX620 with no problems.
Jim

Man oh man... I tried to do an upgrade on my computer last night to my
new shiny version of Vista I got for free for watching some MSDN videos.
It gets all the way through the installation upgrade (which took a
couple of hours.. a clean install takes about 15 minutes) and then when
it gets to the final step of finalizing settings the computer freezes
with a blue line down the middle of the screen and just sits there.
Now I went through the upgrade Advisor Wizard
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42B5AC83-C24F-
4863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42B5AC83-C24F-
4863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en> ) originally and removed
everything it said to remove and even got rid of everything in my Run
key in the registry. Something I highly recommend doing! It said I was
fine. Luckily you can roll back easily enough to your previous version
of Windows which I had to do...see this KB on how to do that
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927522/en-us but that is not the point.
Windows Vista did it for me though when I decided had to shut the
machine off after it sat idle for 2 hours with the blue line down the
middle of the screen. When the machine came back up I was notified that
"Vista installation did not succeed" and that it was "Restoring my
previous version of Windows" A scary message I know but persistent me
went through the installation a second time after removing a few more
things just for good measure and ended up with the same blue line
results, the rollback the second time around worked the same way and
just as well as the first time around.
This should not be that difficult..alas but it is.
There are already over 200+ KB articles on Vista woes (
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3d1033&103
3comm=1&spid=global&query=Vista&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&res=2
0&ast=1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c7&mode=a&adv=1&range=1-200
<http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3d1033&10
33comm=1&spid=global&query=Vista&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&res=
20&ast=1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c7&mode=a&adv=1&range=1-200> )
And even a KB article that lists the error messages that you might
have.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930733/en-us (which is not that
long believe it or not.)
And yes even the validation system seems like it had issues and needed
an update... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929391/en-us
So this evening I get to go through the log files (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901/en-us ) and try and figure out
just what went wrong. But in light of the seemingly huge surge of KB
articles over the last few days on second thought maybe I should wait
awhile before I make the plunge...such is life when you are living on
the edge and want to be at the forefront of technology I guess. At least
my Office 2007 is working though...

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library