[OPLINTECH] Wireless Barcode Scanner for Library Inventory Tablet and Software

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Tue Jun 5 13:25:11 EDT 2007

We have used a laptop with a wireless card and a metrologic usb barcode
scanner to do inventory. I set up a wpa secured wireless router using it
as a switch connected to the library's lan. I then connected the laptop
to it. We had to move the wireless router around depending where the
work was being done, mainly from one side of the library to the other,
to get a good constant connection.

Since we were using the router as a switch by turning off the dhcp
server on it and my not using the "WAN" or "internet" port, I was able
to use a data jack that was already being used by another computer by
plugging the computer into a port as well as the data line going to the
data jack.

The laptop was placed on a flat book cart and would be plugged in via an
extension cord if the battery would get low before that part of the
inventory was completed. It was a 2 person operation to scan the books.
One person scanned the books in on the shelves, the other person would
watch the laptop screen for errors which would be addressed when they
arose and would push the cart forward when needed. The two people would
switch jobs when they wanted to.

We used the inventory part of the horizon client.

--
Ed Liddle <eliddle at marysvillelib.org>
Marysville Public Library