[OPLINTECH] Lending/Circulating Laptops for Public Access

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Thu Jun 14 13:38:57 EDT 2007

The tablets are WebDT and they were very durable, they had rubber
protection around them. We've only had a few issues with the actual
durability of them, mostly from staff not storing them correctly or
attempting to repair something on them themselves. We have only had one
that the screen got broke on from being knocked off a table.

 If I was going to circulate laptops I would definitely look at
something like the Panasonic Toughbooks which are more expensive but
VERY durable.

I still think you would want to make sure that the system has
appropriate virus protection and even with a product like deepfreeze
there needs to be some sort of schedule or ability to run Windows
Updates on the system not to mention the ability to add desired plugins
the patron might need.  You are basically still managing a full blown PC
and have all the costs and manpower involved with doing so.  Maxspeed
makes a wireless Windows XP embedded laptop that also may be of use.

Jim