[OPLINTECH] MS Software Assurance

Don Yarman yarmando at delawarelibrary.org
Tue Nov 13 10:33:11 EST 2007

On 11/13/07, Josh Proffit <jproffit at newarklibrary.info> wrote:

> Has anyone seen this article?  Any thoughts about alternatives?

When my office computer died this summer and was replaced,
I elected not to install the old version of Office or to upgrade to
the latest version.  Instead, I installed OpenOffice.  I've set the
program to automatically use MS file extensions, and I've had
no problems with sharing my documents with MS Office users.

There are a few things that I like better about Excel over Calc.
And the more interactive Word documents that have areas of forms
to fill out make me nervous.

Last month, we signed up with Google Apps for the delawarelibrary.org
domain.  It includes Google spreadsheets, documents, and
presentations.  Seems to work perfectly fine.  My only unhappiness
concerns file sharing, but that's outside the scope of the discussion
here.

--
                   Don Yarman, Assistant Director
                   Delaware County District Library