[OPLINTECH] Gates Foundation PCs & .bat files.

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Mon Oct 1 15:41:15 EDT 2007

Hi All,
   I'm having a little problem that has me perplexed. I recently replaced
some Gates pcs & re-installed
fresh Win2k on them. Setup security using the Gates Foundation / WebJunction
security PAC Tool.

   I created 2 partitions (c:\ 70+gb ---- d:\ 3gb) Installed W2k Created
d:\documents, added a file
named clean.bat. installed profiles, setup desktop & start menu, & then set
security.

   The reason for the small d:?   Patrons may download and/or save their
files to documents folder
 & then burn to cd then log off. Log on & my batch file should run.

clean.bat -                       rd /s /q d:\documents
                                      md d:\documents

I have used this on WinXP Pro with the Shared computer toolkit & SteadyState
without problems but,  I get
"Access to specific device, path, or file denied".

I have set ntconfig.pol to allow access to the command line for the user. I
have given execute access to cmd.exe
& clean.bat to the user specifically (not just everyone). Makes no
difference if I allow c:\ to be viewed ( I just hide it).

All suggestions helpful.
TIA,
Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
willda at oplin.org
740.992.5813
740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?
Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy