[OPLINTECH] Web catalog options

Steve Frappier frappist at oplin.org
Fri Oct 5 13:32:55 EDT 2007

As an SEO Consortium library system our online catalog is Horizon
Information Portal 3.08_RC1_58.01.  The method that I use to lock down
Internet Explorer 6 to our online catalog is a combination of Internet
Options > LAN Settings > Proxy server > Address (127.0.0.1) > Advanced
settings > and Exceptions, listing the domains of the catalog servers and
image servers.

A registry tweak disables the keyboard "Windows" key from working to prevent
opening the Start menu.  I launch Internet Explorer in kiosk mode from the
Start menu, Startup folder.  Finally, policy settings hide any access to
Internet Options, prevent closing the Internet Explorer window and launching
any new Internet Explorer windows, and specify our catalog URL as the home
page.

I have done this on Windows 2000 and XP.  I have not done this with Internet
Explorer 7.  This description is a bit vague, but I have a brief Word doc
with all of the specifics.  If anyone is interested you can contact me at my
frappist at oplin.org email address and I would be happy to send the doc to
you.

Steve
Steve Frappier, Systems Administrator