[OPLINTECH] Reply to Browser Options

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Tue Oct 9 16:19:09 EDT 2007

Ok, if I understand you correctly from the question, you are looking for
a way to allow the patrons to only access the online catalog on a
computer, correct?

If it is, here's what I have done here at GPL. We use IE7 and downloaded
Microsofts shared computer software called, "SteadyState" (from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx)
which allows me to lock down and or hide all that no-no stuff patrons
like to get into. Then we have Norton Internet Security on all our
computers, using it I go into the firewall and tell it to block all urls
except our catalogs url, I think you should be able to do this on most
retail firewall programs (Firewalls are a must on any computer connected
to the network or Internet). In addition, just encase, I also went into
Control Panels -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
Components and got rid of Outlook Express, Paint, etc.

If you have any questions just send me an e-mail, I'll help you if I can.

-Richard Shively, IT

Quote from original post by Monica Patterson Germantown Public Library:
[ The time is coming up for us to renew our license on Public Web
Browser, which we currently use for in-house public access to the web
catalog.  We have two computers that run this program, and they allow
exclusive access to the catalog.  Do any of you have suggestions on
other software or options?  I'd be very interested in any low fee
options (i.e. "no cost besides my time"). ]