[OPLINTECH] public computers (Hijacked Thread)

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Oct 18 18:25:58 EDT 2007

Please send any replies to the list. Answering privately doesn't help
anyone but the two parties involved!

I've set up one of my libraries using thin-client OPAC stations. They
are tightly locked down so the only function available is the OPAC
software. They auto-logoff and shut down at night, and will eventually
auto-boot in the morning. The system works very well. I also
experimented with a test TC station more suitable to general public use,
but found that it was generally shunned. The TC doesn't handle streaming
video particularly well (think dubbed foreign film) and a large
percentage of the library's public use is media-related.

Although it's not necessarily best in every scenario, there is
definitely an advantage to using TC. I'll continue to develop the setup.
I expect that with time, the streaming issues eventually will be
resolved in some fashion, perhaps in protocol updates.

My 2 cents.

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --