[OPLINTECH] Imaging software

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Mon Sep 24 19:42:28 EDT 2007

I am writing this from my sick bed but I highly suggest that everyone start looking at WinPE and PEimg
by Microsoft if you are imaging windows machines. Especially if you are thinking of going to Vista as few programs will do it.  WinPE is in the Windows Automation toolkit. PE stands for PreExecution environment by the way and is a mini OS that you can do a whole lot in prior to setting up the machine.

Here is a post I think I made once before quite some time ago prior to vista;s release about it....hope it helps. Note also Service Pack 1 Beta for  Vista was released just today and some very good administrative additions. It will be welcome when it is released to public. Those of you using Altiris there is $3.00 disk you can buy  that has a special version of WinPE that works better and is easier to set up with Altiris than the base PE.

Hi All,

I have spoken about the new Pre execution enviroment (2.0) that will be available when Windows Vista Releases and this weeks download pick it the Windows Automated Installation Toolkit which allows you to create a Vista PE Environment. You'll need the toolkit, a Windows Vista DVD (just released in Technet plus if you get it) , a Technician Computer, Master computer, a Floppy/USB stick and a blank CD/R disk to do this. (obviously your machine will also need at least a CDR burner.

In Mark Minasi's latest newsletter in the Tech section portion at http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws0701.htm Rhonda Layfield has wrote an excellent article on how to make a PE boot disk. This is a must read and print out and save article for any tech!

The article does not include the link to the WAIK but here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c567d-f12c-4676-917f-05d9de73ada4&displaylang=en

Microsoft also has a page set up for Vista downloads with many other items of interest at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads/winclient/windowsvista/default.mspx

One in particular that people should be looking at is the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. This utility tells you what you need to do to get your computer ready for Vista. I can save people a lot of time... don't even bother unless your workstation has at least 512 MB of memory. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library