[OPLINTECH] transferring a domain

mr invader mrinvader at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 01:02:54 EDT 2008

Hi Karen,

It depends on the Time To Live(TTL=) set on the dns record... Every name server and local machine resolver on the 'net will have the old records for any length of time up to this period, assuming YOUR changes took place immediately(usually they do...), and that your SERIAL= number incremented forward.

------The glazing-over-of-the-eyes technical example is as follows:----------
Given a ttl of 3600 seconds (6hrs) in the record and the serial= was at least 1 greater than the previous value,  if that info was cached at 6pm by a nameserver or PC, and the changes were made at 7pm, then that pc would have stale data until reboot, a dns cache flush (ipconfig /flushdns in Windows), or 11pm, unless the pc's nameserver cached the info(home routers do this), then it would have to wait 6hrs from it's cache time, or until all caches up to the root servers have flushed or expired. usually the last hop before root is nameserver(s).yourisp.com

As far as SERIAL= management, I use the date and time in this format as the serial... YYYYMMDDhhmmss, E.G. 2008 04 16 00 39 03. 03 can be a version 01-99 or 00-60 seconds or your favorite number at this point in time. Since I'm Far too lazy to sync with a second hand, for me the last pair is a counter -

 20080416003903 = 03rd revision during the 39th minute of the 00th(24h time) hour of the 16th day of April, 2008.

Using this method you are 99.----% guaranteed to have a properly incremented serial, or your money back. This is my system, but  you can do whatever you like. Some people use an honest to goodness serial counting from the first time the file was saved. I use this because it tells me how long since i last changed the record, down to the minute. This is great when the "pointy haired guy" says "Tom!, did you change those records yet??". You can gleefully reply "I changed those records on September 12th 2007 at 4:35 pm. The proof is on your machine and mine and ...."

Hope that made it clear as mud for you..

  -Tom