[OPLINTECH] Domain Transfer

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Wed Apr 16 10:17:35 EDT 2008

Just want to clarify what your talking about here. Are you changing the
Domain or are you keeping the same Domain and changing services?

If you are changing the domain, you may consider keeping both accounts
open for a month and having your original domain automatically route
visiters to the new domain and give a message like: "Our Address has
changed to <new address> and you will automatically be rerouted to it in
<#> of seconds. If your browse does not redirect click here." That is
what I did when we switched from a local service to 1and1.com.

If you are talking about actually carrying over the domain name, this
could be more complicated. It will depend on if the original hosting
service purchases the domain or leases it, also what your contract with
them says about transferring the domain name from there services. Some
will require you pay for them to release the domain name, others will
just let you take it with you when you notify them that you wish to take
the domain name with you. This will all depend on the original hosting
service.

--
Richard Shively
IT/Webmaster