[OPLINTECH] Wireless Internet

Michelle Sidle msidle at pauldingcountylibrary.org
Fri Aug 1 13:48:28 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone,

   I am curious as to how libraries who provide wireless access for their patron manage the security of their system. At the main library, we have a wireless access manager that allows patron to use their library card to access the internet. The system is secured and we have reports that tell us who was on the connection and the length of time they were on as well. This works great but it is costly. So here is our dilemma, we are starting to have a demand for our branches to have wireless but feel the cost in getting the same equipment the main library uses is to costly at this point of time. So, we are asking for suggestions from other libraries as to how they manage their wireless connection. Thanks for help!

Michelle Sidle
Paulding County Carnegie Library
msidle at pauldingcountylibrary.org