[OPLINTECH] Questions about libraries and gadgets (Laura Solomon)

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Tue Aug 19 14:00:49 EDT 2008

Hello Laura,

I have been on vacation and just got back today. So here is my reply.

What kinds of gadgets do you see patrons come in with most often
(laptops, cells, what else)?

I think now-a-days everyone has a cell, even children. I see at least
one laptop a day, but can't recall seeing more than 2 in at anyone time.
The other gadgets include USB thumb drives (common), MP3 or Ipod
(moderate), cameras (rarely), and also occasionally a DS or PSP.

What gadget(s) were you most surprised to see?

none.

What sorts of tasks do people use their gadgets for in the library?

General Internet (e-mail, browse, etc), games (about 33% of use), work
or school, downloads (music & data), and upload pictures.

Do most of them use your library's connectivity and/or power?

Yes.

Does your library have any kind of policies concerning particular
gadgets and/or how they are used at your library?

Well we do not all the viewing of porn or myspace, this is controlled
through OpenDNS.com. Also as that we use a WPA-PSK wireless the DS and
PSP access is not supported as both only connect to WEP at best.

What problems does your library experience with any of these gagets?

Patrons complain about the location of power outlets for them to plug
their laptops into.

Has your library done anything to enable use of gadgets? (E.g., wireless
for public laptops,VLAN for public access, etc)

Other than have a passkey code for the wireless available at the the
desk and having the DNS filtering? no.

What would you most want to tell librarians about gadgets in libraries?

Make sure that if you are allowing wireless that it is a secured
wireless, law enforcement will eventually enforce higher encryption for
wireless in public places as that the free text signals are easily
intercepted and decoded.

--
Richard Shively
IT/Webmaster