[OPLINTECH] N Computing

Chad Neeper (list) cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Aug 22 13:53:00 EDT 2008

http://www.ncomputing.com/Technology.aspx

Definitely follow the FAQ link at the bottom of the page and read it
carefully. There are differences between the L-series and the X-series
and there are some overall limitations/features that could be very
significant in your planned environments.

It also looks like the host server can be WinXP or Windows Server or
Linux...

FWIW, aside from the fact that the box you plug your KVM into is
probably tiny, I've accomplished pretty much the same thing using old
(ancient) PCs booting to Thinstation (linux) and connecting to a Windows
XP Pro workstation running a software product called XPUnlimited
(http://www.xpunlimited.com). Each Thinstation terminal gets a full
Windows XP desktop. The system works very well. The only downside I've
run into so far is the streaming-video issue. It's reminiscent of
watching a voice-dubbed film. :-)

In the present configuration, I've got seven Thinstation terminals
connected to the Windows XP/XPUnlimited box, which is actually a virtual
machine configured as a single-processor VM with 1GB RAM running on a
heavily-loaded WinXP dual Xeon 3GHz processor host computer. I imagine
the streaming video issue might improve a little bit if I was running
the XPUnlimited terminal server on physical hardware rather than in a
virtual machine... :-)  This is better for the budget, though!

Not necessarily better or worse than the NComputing solution...just
different.
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --