[OPLINTECH] Bandwith Issues

Eric Webster ewebster at worthingtonlibraries.org
Wed Aug 27 15:13:44 EDT 2008

I don't trust OpenDNS personally and you should think twice too:
http://www.roedie.nl/2007/07/11/do-not-use-opendns/

<snip>
Moreover, OpenDNS decided that when you request www.google.com you
actually request google.navigation.opendns.com. Yes, did read it
correctly. They decided you actually didn't want to reach
www.google.com, instead you get redirected to one of their own sites
which looks remarkably much like googles own site.
</snip>

And then you read this that says they put advertisements in your search
results:
http://www.opendns.com/how/free/how-can-opendns-be-free/

Using a proxy server your could control your users traffic more. You
could give certain sites lower priority than others, or even block
certain ones at certain times of the day if you wanted to. You could
also do this by groups of computers as well if you wanted. I'm
personally only familiar with a Squid/Squidgaurd solution but I know
these features aren't specific to that software. Not a simple or quick
solution by any means though, but no true solution to this probably will
be. It would take some planning and likely some network reorganization
to use it to its fullest potential.

Eric Webster
Network Administrator
Worthington Libraries