[OPLINTECH] [OPLINLIST] Bandwidth issues.

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Thu Aug 28 08:57:31 EDT 2008

Way uses a Cymphonix bandwidth shaping device in conjunction with OPLIN
QoS..  I have mixed feelings about the Cymphonix device.  If it's doing what
it says it's a great and beautiful thing.  I ran into some issues with their
tech support a few months ago, however, and they basically destroyed the
thing twice with bad updates.

Otherwise, I'm not going to say there are no solutions to this problem, but
at peak hours we have our staffers and 30+ patrons on computers.  Even if I
were a bandwidth genius, anything short of blocking Myspace, Facebook,
Snapfish, Runescape, YouTube, and Photobucket would probably result in
congested lines.  Websites are designing their content to run on Cable
connections now, which are rapidly approaching the same speeds as our T1
lines. It's starting to feel a bit like we're attempting to ration an apple
pie between 100 dinner guests here at the library.

T1 lines just aren't scaling well.  I have about the same bandwidth at home
for $29.99 (RoadRunner - Meep meep!) and it's just a single computer.
Given, I'm enjoying one of the "good" cycles with cable based Internet right
now-  I think they recently upgraded their network.  In my experience it
will slowly deteriorate until they upgrade again. It's also not as reliable
as a T1 connection, so I guess the extra cost is mostly coming from that
last 10% uptime. Still, this is what the popular sites out there believe
their core audience has access to.

Travis McAfee

Systems Administrator

Way Public Library

101 E. Indiana Ave.

Perrysburg, OH  43551

Voice:  (419) 874-3135 x103

Fax:     (419) 874-6129

Email:    <mailto:mcafeetr at oplin.org> mcafeetr at oplin.org

Web:  http://www.waylibrary.info <http://www.waylibrary.info/>

"The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect the policies and
procedures of Way Public Library."

  _____