[OPLINTECH] Bandwidth issues.

Bill Hardison bhardison at norweld.org
Thu Aug 28 12:15:51 EDT 2008

In my previous incarnation we ran into a similar issue but in reverse.  We
had more data coming IN than our T-1 cared for.  It was slowing down
important out-bound traffic such as payroll (accounting servers were located
in some remote portion of Borneo I think).  We implemented a band-aid
solution at the time.  We purchased a router capable of using 2 T-1 lines
and "balanced" some of our load over them.  Basically we reserved T-1a for
sales and accounting traffic and T-1b for "web" traffic.  We did use a few
cable modems for certain applications.  The place a cable modem was a good
idea (and proved reliable) was for incoming traffic.  Since most home
broadband configurations are heavy on download "speeds" and minimal in the
upload department, cable modems were ideal for traffic cams and such.

The ultimate solution came when Buckeye TeleSystems started offering
Metropolitan Ethernet.  Then, we hooked up a big ol' 10MB Ethernet
connection.  The cable modems are still in place for the most part, because
they seem to be doing the job that they were asked to do.

2¢

Bill

Bill Hardison
Computer Services Coordinator
Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)