[OPLINTECH] Scanners for public use

Chad Neeper (list) cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Feb 18 14:47:12 EST 2008

One of the libraries I work with has a color copier/printer available
for public use. The device also has a scan to network folder option
available. I have not yet implement it, but it's on my short list of
things to play with within the next month or two. In general, the idea
would be to scan a document, OCR/edit as necessary at one of the public
lab workstations, and then save to USB/floppy, e-mail, print, etc. when
done. Those of you that have a networked copier might have a similar
option available to you and might be worth considering.

As for scanning to PDF, you can easily install a print driver that
simply converts any printed document to a pdf file. I use PDFCreator
(http://www.pdfforge.org), which is free open source software and works
very well. Of course, this is if your scanner doesn't provide that
function directly.

Sending to e-mail directly from the scanner might be a little tricky,
but do-able. Worse case, the user could save the document to a temp area
and then use their favorite web mail (Yahoo, GMail, whatever).

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --