[OPLINTECH] Open Office Software

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Wed Jan 23 16:51:53 EST 2008

First, I admit to only paying slight attention to the discussion.
Second, I think each library must decide based on their needs, goals, funds,
etc.

Next my 5 cents:

I spent 30 + years in industry (Mettler-Toledo aka Toledo Scale)
M-T seemed to generally use brand name s/w. MS Symantec, Oracle, etc.
But, they had a lot of bucks available.
Although, on occasion, they did roll their own.

If you needed to know a package, M-T provided in-house class training.
Many times hiring 'pros'.
This will probably be the case for much major industry as they will want
conformity of use.

So I don't think a library needs to be able to train a patron beyond the
basics.

MS may still dominate the world but open source seems here to stay.
Dell and others are now offering openSUSE as an option.
You won't find MS products in it and you don't need to be a geek to use it.
It may have a different browser, email client, word processor etc. but still
useable.
If you absolutely must have some MS type program, WINE might be able to
install it.

As this continues, libraries actually should learn about open source as some
patrons will expect it.

In support of OO & open source.
Much open source. Gimp, OO, Picasa, Kompozer, 7zip, etc is very easy to
support.
You download and install a later version. Not much different from Windows
apps.
OO even will check and install updates automatically.

Edubuntu, openSUSE, apache etc., may take more specialized support.
(So does MS workstations and MS servers etc.)
But if a library has an IT staff that set up a system, that should be in the
qualifications for replacement staff.
They should easily then be able to support the system and open source.

If a consultant (other than Chad ~ shameless plug) provides a system,
workstations, etc. , the library should be proactive in decisions. They
should question future support, response time, upgrades, software used, etc.
etc.
It's necessary, especially if there is not IT staff on site.
But even then, open source should definitely be considered.
Take advantage of what's available.  You should be able to get more for less
money.

Prior to 2002 our PAC's had 2 mb ram, NO hard drive and booted from the
network.
We had Windows 3.1 , 95 and 98 and WordPerfect 5, MS Office 6 etc.
Since then the staff has grown through W2K, XP, WordPerfect 8, MS Office
2000, Firefox, Wireless some Edubuntu etc.
The director even has openSUSE on his old W2K pc.
No techno stress breakdowns for staff yet. (My hair would be grey anyway)

Our patrons have gone with the flow with few exceptions.
For the most part they just want PAC & internet access.

Right now for us, it doesn't matter how cheap MS applications are.
If it's workable, free is better.
We just do not have funds available at our library to chase technology
advances.
I'd rather buy more memory than MS Office.

BTW ~ I'm not anti-MS.
My laptop is a W2K with OO & Office 2000, I predominately use Opera but also
Outlook.
Sometimes IExplorer for the backward websites.
It's all sort of a mixed bag on my PC.

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901