[OPLINTECH] Open Office Software

Tom Mason masontj at manasst.com
Thu Jan 24 12:48:41 EST 2008

Chad,

Thank you.  I did indeed mean to post it directly to the list.  It was not meant to be a personal attack of any sort as your post seems to be.

 I doubt if many do “donate” to the OSF groups that ask.  I’m simply suggesting that “free” is not without some cost that is paid by someone and should be acknowledged.  Those of us that are advocating the use of open source software and/or using it, should support it if they believe in it as a current and long term solution.  It is not free.  It is Open Source.

Libraries in Ohio are not poor as compared to other states.  Many receive grants and donations in addition to state funds which I know are going down.  If your institution budgets costs, then there is surely a cost/benefit analysis for any expenditure.  Budget in some funds for a donation in the same amount you would have provided for a MS purchase instead of freeloading so that those that truly can’t afford it can enjoy the Open Source software for free.

Being a business consultant, we would suggest a cost/benefit analysis should be done, especially when funds are declining.  I have not seen anyone’s analysis that truly considered the costs with everything considered, including support, library chartered goals and public interest, that came out positively in favor of Open Source.  I’d just like to see someone’s real life analysis.  All of this talk of “free” makes some of us look like we saved a ton of money to buy books instead of MS Software.  Did we really?

Thomas Mason, MCSE, AANG, Sr. Consultant

Management Assistance, Inc.

Manufacturing, Academic and Government Solutions

"We make it happen for you!"

masontj at manasst.com 440.355.6962 Fax:440-355-4355