[OPLINTECH] Wi-Fi ports

Avery Shifflett shifflav at oplin.org
Wed Jul 2 22:04:05 EDT 2008

I’d like some opinions from library techs operating a Wi-Fi hotspot.
After receiving a suggestion from a patron who thought our wireless was
too ‘restrictive’, I’m curious what ports others leave open or closed.
Any reasons why you've chosen to close or open specific ports would be
appreciated.

In case you’re curious, here’s my current setup:
I’m running a Linux (SUSE) server with DansGuardian (a *great* filter,
amazingly fast and reliable, and of course
free).  On the wireless end, I
currently only allow http(80) and https(443) traffic.  Https traffic is
transparently forced through the filter (via wpad.dat & Squid) so I can at
least block by website name, since secure content cannot be analyzed.

99% of our patrons are quite satisfied and don’t feel restricted in the
least.   It may be restrictive to the other 1% who want FTP, VPN, etc.,
but I don’t want to needlessly compromise security or allow the filter to
be bypassed.

Thanks for any input.

Avery Shifflett
Technology Coordinator