[OPLINTECH] Gattach and Yattach Set Default mail in Windows

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Jul 7 14:03:00 EDT 2008

Lynne Welch <welchly at oplin.org> writes:

> Has anyone discovered a way to keep Microsoft from re-installing
> Outlook Express when it does updates?  We have removed it time and
> again from our public computers and it finds some way to sneak back
> in.  Any thoughts appreciated ~

The most reliable way I know is to force its removal on system
startup.  There are several ways to accomplish that, but a set of
plain old del commands in the HKLM Run registry key is probably the
most straightforward.  Be aware that Windows keeps at least two backup
copies of the OE files and will auto-restore them within seconds
unless the backup copies are deleted first.

However, the Set Program Access and Defaults thing that SP2 added may
be good enough for many purposes.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library