[OPLINTECH] Websense/Proxy/Downloading

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Mon Jul 21 10:13:20 EDT 2008

I did find this on the web sense knowledge base website.
http://kb.websense.com/al/12/1/article.asp?aid=1051&n=3&tab=search&bt=4n&r=0.6554942&s=1&searchstring=file
 Its about how to block file type downloads using precise bandwidth
controls. It looks like it pertains to web sense surf control. I hope
this helps.

-Ed Liddle

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 15:52 -0400, Tyra Ealy wrote:
> Dear Ohio Techies,
>
> Here's something to ponder over the weekend...
> We've been having an ongoing problem (many months have passed) that
> has just stumped everyone.
> We use Websense filtering.  Just got a new server in hopes that a
> clean machine & install would solve this problem--but it did not.
>
> Websense is used as a proxy.  With the proxy on, we cannot download
> files.  No error messages.
> The files "appear" to download, but when you check the size it is
> never complete.
> This happens on every browser we've tried--IE7, Firefox 3.0 and Safari
> 3.1.2.
> We're all Windows XP.
>
> Turn the proxy off... all is well (except, of course, that we're no
> longer filtering)!
>
> Any and all ideas welcome!
> Have a great weekend!
> Tyra
>
> Tyra L. Ealy
> Information Technology Manager
> Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
> 444 Mahoning Ave. NW
> Warren, OH 44483
> Phone: 330-399-8807, ext. 140
> FAX: 330-395-3988
> http://www.wtcpl.org
> Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the
> winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

-Ed Liddle

Technology Assistant

Marysville Public library
231 S. Plum Street,