[OPLINTECH] FW: Thin client computers

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Tue Jul 22 11:48:28 EDT 2008

Hi Lucretia,

         I use both SteadyState and Spice Works. I have had great success
with both of them. Spice Works can give you a variety of reports that help
us greatly with inventory. You can edit the records to add information as
well. The only problem I have had has had to do with Windows firewall. To
enable Spice Works to scan a computer you have to enable remote admin.

The easy way:

from command prompt (logged in as admin on the local box) type..

Netsh firewall set service remoteadmin enable

The press enter.

The latest version (2.5) of SteadyState works with either XP or Vista. It is
much more mature than the previous version and leaps ahead of the Shared
Computer Toolkit. Just like any other Microsoft program it has it's quirks
though. For instance, I set SS to keep users from being able to create files
and folders on c:\. I thought this was a reasonable thing to do but,  the
locked users could not access the internet (couldn't write the temporary
files needed). Of course, you can set each user's ability to see any drive
or no drive, so this really doesn't matter.

If you have problems with either of them, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Dan Will

Technology Supervisor

Meigs County District Public Library

willda at oplin.org

740.992.5813

740.992.6140 (fax)

The difference between fiction and reality?

Fiction has to make sense.

Tom Clancy