[OPLINTECH] Meeting Room Scheduler

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed Jul 23 13:26:24 EDT 2008

"Carol Dunn" <Dunn at FindlayLibrary.org> writes:

> We are under construction, and building 2 new meeting rooms. We want
> to buy software that would schedule the meetings. What does your
> library use? Any help appreciated for suggestions,

We use a homebrew solution written in Perl (using DBI and DateTime)
and a small bit of AJAX.  Since we are a single-building library, this
works pretty well for us, since pretty much the whole network is 100
MBPS.  One advantage is that we were able to make the form look a lot
like our old paper ones.  Another is that we've been able to make it
do pretty much exactly what we want.  (Just yesterday I made a small
change at the request of the children's room staff.)

The same system also handles the bookings for our patron internet and
word processing computers.

I can make the source available if anyone is interested.  It's a
little messy, since I initially wrote it when I was still learning
Perl and have not done as much refactoring as I would like to do.
Also, I've never tested with MSIE, or any other non-Gecko browser
for that matter.  But it works for us.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library