[OPLINTECH] MUDs & MUVEs

Angela Paterek A.Paterek at rrpl.org
Sat Jun 7 08:41:48 EDT 2008

I'd have to wonder what target audience you are shooting for and tell
you that your target audience is probably the first thing to determine.

I've been a resident of Second Life for over a year now.  I'm a social
avie, a businesses owner, a blogger, a builder, and an educational
consultant.  I also keep my eye on what is going on in the library world
of SL.  I can tell you that in general I think the demographics of
people using SL are vastly different than those using RuneScape,
EverQuest and WOW.  Most of the people I meet in SL are in their 30s,
40s, and 50s.  I even know people in their 60s and 70s.  Although SL
does have gaming and role playing sims, a very large portion of it is
socialization and building your world.  In the sense that I use SL, it
is not a "game" to me.

However, if you know what your target audience is and can appeal to
something that looks retro, it may go over well.  People like nostalgia.
The 80s gaming units that were sold during the past two holiday seasons
seemed to sell well.

Angela