[OPLINTECH] MUDs & MUVEs

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Jun 10 13:14:08 EDT 2008

mrinvader <mrinvader at gmail.com> writes:

>> There was a time when I would flunk really bright comp sci students
>> because they were addicted to MUDDing and would literally sleep in
>> my labs. In this graphic YouTube world I wonder if it would have
>> the same appeal?
>
> If it had good writing and direction, absolutely!

This isn't quite the same, because it isn't multi-player *as such*
(though the harder games do tend to be easier to complete if you have
multiple people sitting around the thing together), but have you
thought about including some interactive fiction titles, along the
lines of Zork, Curses, A Day for Soft Food, Earth and Sky, and so on
and so forth?

I don't know that anything text-based will have as _broad_ an appeal
as YouTube, in terms of sheer numbers, but it might have a _deeper_
appeal for the minority of patrons who are interested in something
with a little more substance.  And that is worthwhile too.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library