[OPLINTECH] Questions re: interviewing and hiring for a technology position

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Tue Jun 17 15:40:01 EDT 2008

We're going to be hiring a second full-tine technology person, and since
it's been a number of years since I've hired anyone I'd be grateful for
any help you could give me regarding the questions below.

1.  How do you test a candidate's technical knowledge?  When I
interviewed people for a PC tech position years ago, I used to have a
couple of PC's with the covers off in the interview room and asked the
candidates to tell me about the components, and I also gave them a
couple of hypothetical test scenarios to troubleshoot.  Any other ideas?
  The position we're hiring for would include a lot of things beyond PC
components, such as managing a Windows domain, troubleshooting network
problems, etc.

2.  Do you require background checks or anything like that for
technology positions?

Do you have any other suggestions specific to hiring a library tech. person?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  In case you're interested, the job
posting is here:

http://www.cuyahogafallslibrary.org/jobs.php#atc

Phil

--