[OPLINTECH] RE Microsoft SharePoint Server

Eric Maynard emaynard at holmeslib.org
Thu May 22 11:41:49 EDT 2008

Mary,

Here at Holmes Co we have been using SharePoint for approximately 9
months.

As an administrator, the only advice I can think to give you is that you
need to keep in mind that MS designed this to scale and that at times it
will seem like you are managing a aircraft carrier.

Another recommendation I have, is not to spread yourself across too many
sites.  It's an incredibly versatile product, so the temptation is
there, but I think that staff can very quickly get lost if you create
too many sites.

Also, I feel I should also tell you that we're not completely sold on it
as the prefect Knowledge Management tool for us.  I agree it does seem
to be the most bang for the buck when you hold it up to most open source
competitors, but we are also considering hosted solutions such as Google
Apps For Your Domain  as well.  http://www.google.com/apps/

Hope this helps.

Eric Maynard
Head of Information Technology,