[OPLINTECH] public software foundation

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu May 29 16:57:52 EDT 2008

If I checkout a dvd or a book, bring it home and come down with an
illness that I feel I caught from the dvd or book, does that make the
library liable for my medical bills or loss of income from my missed
days at work? Would I have gotten sick if I didn't go to the store on
the way home from the library? In this scenario there are many variables
that could have made me sick and several things I could have done to
prevent myself from getting sick like wash my hands before I ate.

For example try brining up an unpatched copy of SQL 2000 on a machine
> and see how quickly you have sasser on your network. And it isn't just a
> windows thing. There are plenty of vulnerabilities in all flavors of
> linux if they are not patched.
How safe is your network? Do you have a firewall? Do you run as root? Is
your windows user an admin user? Could you prevent sasser from entering
your network from the internet by using a firewall? Even in this
scenario there are several things a computer user can do to prevent
their computer from getting a virus or from being hacked due to
vulnerabilities in any type of software. Is the library liable for t
hosed computer because you decided not to properly protect your network,
or because of the decision made to install the software that was checked
out from the library?

I personally don't see how a library can be liable for bad things that
can happen to a computer by lending software.

That is my opinion about it.

-Ed Liddle

--
-Ed Liddle