[OPLINTECH] Overriding content filters

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Wed Oct 1 19:24:28 EDT 2008

Owen
The simple version of the law says that persons 18 and older may request unfiltered internet access and the request will be granted in a reasonable time. My memory of the various arguments was that a "reasonable time" was hours not days.
That said, GCPL uses Websense and provides a Websense management console at every public service desk. Public computers are filtered by IP and the filter can be changed from the global policy to an adult policy on request. The change is almost immediate and the patron gets unfiltered internet by restarting or refreshing their browser.
If you use a proxy-based filter there are several products which just reach into the internet options and turn the proxy on or off. I understand how you would do this with the major commercial products but I honestly haven't investigated how you would do it with a FOSS product like Squid.
Again if your  library is CIPA compliant you must filter all computers including staff computers and you must turn the filter off for an adult upon request. The law also provides for special use computers which don't have to be unfiltered so you have some space for OPACs and dedicated research computers a.k.a a children computer or a genealogy computer.
HTH

Jim Mann
GCPL