[OPLINTECH] Text Messaging

Bill Hardison bhardison at norweld.org
Mon Sep 22 09:14:50 EDT 2008

Shane,

Not to rain on your parade, I am of a similar mind.  I suggested an SMS
project 5 or 6 years ago to the TV station I used to work for.  At it's
foundation it is an outstanding idea.  (of course I'd say that I had it too
lol)

3 years ago I finally was allowed to setup (with one of our vendors) a
school closing SMS alert system .  Mass SMS messaging is a nightmare.
Getting away from it is one of the reasons I give for wanting a new job.
The major task isn't the technology to send the messages.  It's keeping your
messages flowing.  The cell phone companies are constantly changing their
SMS spam "filtering" tactics.  One day your messages go through and the next
they do not.  They are not particularly interested in the problems of those
outside phone to phone SMS.  To add to the problems some cell phone carriers
do not allow anything BUT phone to phone SMS.  Trac Phone used to be like
that.  I assume they still are.  On any given "snow day" I could anticipate
3 to 4 hundred bounced SMS email messages, that required individual
attention to remove canceled cell accounts etc from the database.

It's true that no library would need to communicate with such a large
group.  However, the problems with the cell companies would be universal.

So, what am I saying?  If you can find a vendor who is willing to handle ALL
of this for you and all you have to provide is message content, go for it.
If you have to build it and/or manage it day to day, then maybe not.

--
Bill

Bill Hardison
Computer Services Coordinator
Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)
419-352-2903