[OPLINTECH] OPLINTECH Digest, Vol 42, Issue 2

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Mon Apr 6 10:22:45 EDT 2009

In regards to OpenDNS, we have been using it here at Greenville Public
Library for a little over a year. We started using OpenDNS to filter on
computers because we added 8 linux patron computers to the 8 Windows XP
boxes we already had it was an easy and inexpensive solution. I can't
say we have had any problems with it, just same thing as all filter
systems, they just can't get all the porn sites and proxy browsers
(unrealistic to think they would).

I also enjoy the activity monitoring feature. I would like for OpenDNS
to keep a log of sites that were viewed (and not blocked) so I could
reference them to figure out what proxy browsers are being used so we
could add them to the block list.

--
Richard Shively
IT/Webmaster

willda at oplin.org wrote:

    Hi All,

    In the wake of Conficker, I’ve been reading about different ways to
    help combat such attacks. In one of the articles,

    was mention of OpenDNS. While I’ve heard of it someplace before, I
    couldn’t remember the particulars. So I’ve just

    sat through a couple of web demos, and found the information
    interesting.

    My questions are:

    · Is or has anyone used this “service” before?

    · If so, what did you think of it?

    · Did you use it for CIPA compliance or security (or both)?

    · Were you satisfied?

    · Other observations?

    Dan Will

    Technology Supervisor

    Meigs County District Public Library

    willda at oplin.org <mailto:willda at oplin.org>

    740.992.5813

    740.992.6140 (fax)

    The difference between fiction and reality?

    Fiction has to make sense.

    Tom Clancy