[OPLINTECH] XP end of support plans?

shivelri@oplin.org shivelri at oplin.org
Tue Apr 7 14:55:57 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I am curious as to how other libraries are handling the end of support
of Windows XP?

Are you upgrading to Vista? Holding out for Windows 7? Or are you
looking into switching into the GPL line of OS's like Linux?

Interestingly as I studied the lifecycle plan as released by Microsoft
(link provided below), I noticed that Microsoft only supports software
for 5 years or 2 years after its successor product is released, which
ever is longer (consumer products). Therefore if Windows 7 releases as
rumored this year support for Vista could be knocked off as soon as
January 2012 (Jan 2007 + 5). Where with the same expectations for W7
releasing this year would mean support until at least 2014 (2009 +5).
Just some food for thought.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=16&y=12&C2=1173

--
Richard Shively