[OPLINTECH] Mailto links on public computers

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Tue Apr 14 11:45:52 EDT 2009

I tried changing the registry entry as I posted in an earlier message
(below) but it didn't work for me; when I clicked on a mailto link in IE
I got an error that the mail client wasn't properly configured, and in
Firefox I got no error but nothing happened when I clicked a mailto link.

However, I found another way, which worked for me.  I adapted the
instructions on the first page below and the sample reg file on the
second page below:

http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/WindowsMailto

http://code.deeproot.in/deepofix/browser/trunk/packages/squirrelmail/src/contrib/squirrelmail.mailto.NT2KXP.reg
(or http://tinyurl.com/cfnofc )

My reg file should be attached (unless attachments are stripped from
list messages; it's just the sample reg file in the second link above,
with SquirrelMail changed to MailtoHelpPage and the Squirrel Mail URL
changed to the URL of a page on my library's web site).  It works for me
on a Windows XP Professional PC, but keep in mind that this changes the
registry so be careful - its possible to mess up a computer by messing
with the registry.  To use this file:

1. Change my library's URL to the URL of a page on my site (by the way,
I stole the text for this web page from David Popeck at Lakewood).

2. Change the file extension from .txt to .reg

3. Back up the registry if you want.

4. While you're logged onto the computer as someone allowed to change
the registry, double click on the file and say "yes" when asked if you
want to add these to your registry.

5.  Get into Internet Options (through IE's tools menu or some other
way) and choose MailtoHelpPage as the default mail client(programs tab -
email).

That worked for me; hope this is helpful to someone.

Phil

--

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator