[OPLINTECH] BTOP questions: letters? 2nd round? -- ALL libraries, IMPORTANT

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Wed Aug 5 08:46:35 EDT 2009

I have been receiving stimulus funding questions about the support
letters for Connect Ohio, and about applying in later funding rounds and
still taking advantage of the Connect Ohio application.

We (OPLIN, State Library, and OLC) are still working closely with
Connect Ohio to coordinate our efforts. At yesterday's meeting, we
discussed these questions, as well as Connect Ohio's concerns about the
letters they have already received. With all due apologies for the
last-minute confusion, we have decided to ask libraries for a different
type of support letter. ALL libraries should look at this letter
(attached, and also available at http://oplin.org/broadbandgrants); it
allows a wide variety of options for libraries to participate in the
statewide stimulus application being written by Connect Ohio.

The letter mentions Connect Ohio’s Every Citizen Online (ECO) program.
This is a separate application Connect Ohio will be submitting to
request funds to purchase about 3,200 standardized computers to be
distributed geographically to community technology centers around the
state; their goal is 12 new computers in each of 3 technology centers in
each county. In some counties, public library buildings may be the
locations that could receive these computers, meaning there is a
possibility for some libraries to receive free computers if the ECO
application is successful. You should use the attached letter to
indicate your interest in being considered for this program.

For Connect Ohio's needs, it is very important to email them not only
the letter, but the additional data requested at the end of the letter.
Without this data, they cannot include the library in their application.

If you want to participate in this statewide application, PLEASE try to
EMAIL YOUR LETTER TO info at connectohio.org BY NOON THIS FRIDAY, AUGUST 7.
Even if you have already sent a letter to Connect Ohio, they will need
another from you in this new format (sorry).

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Avenue, Suite 130