[OPLINTECH] Desktops

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Dec 4 12:50:24 EST 2009

For my own clients, I prefer to custom-build Intel-based workstations
and servers. That way I have full confidence in the components and we
get _exactly_ what we want. (I'll end up supporting and configuring them
for years afterwards and I want them to work well.) However, I agree
with the others. I think I'd go with Dell over HP or Gateway (if they
still exist in some incarnation). I've used large numbers of Dell
desktops and laptops over the years and they are generally built well
and have a good price tag. If I had a complaint about them, it would be
mostly about the hard drives. But that's the same complaint I put
against the others as well.

Another option might be Acer. I haven't worked with an Acer computer in
the last three years or so, but for the ~10 years before that I worked
with them quite a lot. Quality and price were always good and I suspect
they are still.

<Soap box on>Cheaply hard drives tends to be one of the areas that
system builders skimp on to keep costs low, but it creates a longevity
problem. I especially dislike Western Digital hard drives. I've seen a
disproportionately high number of WD drives fail at the 2-3 year mark
over the years. I'd rather pay a little extra up front and have a
machine that has a greater chance of working three years later than have
to spend time and money replacing the drive and reconfiguring the
computer. For the average consumer who may replace his/her computer
every two years or so that might be fine. But for a smaller library that
may need to keep it for 5, 6 or more years, the computer needs to
last.<Soap box off>

My two cents.

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --