[OPLINTECH] PC Image Broadcast Techniques

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Mon Dec 7 13:18:36 EST 2009

Eric
Excellent!
Here's a tool, while not FOSS, that can make the job of installing multiple applications much easier:
http://www.almeza.com/
Multiset allows you to create a "player" which with one click will reinstall all your applications. I confess I may have done it wrong but the set I built allows me to install 24 applications with half a dozen clicks and loads everything in about 15 minutes.
I'm using this in my Goodwill recycling project so I can create an consistent load of the one-up computers we get donated.
For the computers that come in as matched units we build one image, clone it with Clonezilla and the volunteers image the other computers with the Clonezilla live CD and external USB hard drives.
While I do a have a 500gb drive with the master images, the volunteers use old 40 gig drives in external cases to do their imaging.
While setting up a Clonezilla server is a bit of a challenge, using Clonzilla as a standalone project is a wonderful and free solution.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.
Xenia Ohio 45385
(937)352-4000 x1210
mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.