[OPLINTECH] New hard drive technology FYI

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Dec 17 12:03:03 EST 2009

With Western Digital having developed Advanced Format Technology and now
beginning to introduce it into their drives, I hope that this is now
going to be the new standard adopted by ALL drive manufacturers. I
haven't yet seen any other drive manufacturers that have specifically
stated that they are going to use the AFT technology WD developed.
(Granted, I haven't looked very hard!)

It sounds like it could be enough of a pain as it is to ensure that we
run WD's special formatting software on drives we want to use older
operating systems on or that we want to clone. As the new drives are
being introduced, we'll need to know which computers have the WD AFT
drives in them...and which don't. If the other drive manufacturers
either don't adopt AFT, or worse, don't adopt it exactly as WD
specs...things could get even more confusing, with each manufacture
having their own version of the special software required to be run to
clone drives or install older operating systems.

I hope I'm off base here and everything works just fine without any
transitional headaches. We all have enough to do already without needing
to know the manufacturer and model of each hard drive in each computer!

But, still...it's something to think about...

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --