[OPLINTECH] Questions about Ameritech

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Dec 28 13:42:53 EST 2009

Welcome to the list, Patty.

I've not heard anything one way or another about Amerikit, however, I
have a few relevant comments based on a quick perusal of their website.
It looks like they are using good products to install and secure the
computers. It looks like they are using Dell computers, which are
usually pretty good computers, in my experience. They are also using
Faronics products to protect public computers from changes. That's also
a plus. It appears that they use workstation imaging. It's also probably
somewhat safe to assume that, based on the apparent national scale of
their company, they will have a fairly well-secured standardized core
configuration for the public computers. (Meaning that it's probably not
just a poorly-configured one-off basic installation with no
customizations to correctly secure the computers...A configuration we
see all to commonly with general tech companies that don't work
regularly with libraries and schools.) In general, I'd be cautiously
positive on the potential technical side. Definitely do what you're
doing, though and try to find an actual customer to talk to before you
commit.

On the downside:  The company is based in South Dakota. Even though they
claim a network of over 4000 technicians available to them, you will
probably never see an actual employee of the company, even for the
initial install. They will be using a local company (probably several)
that is (are) responding to specific service requests. In my own
experience, years ago I used to work for a small 4-5 employee computer
retail/repair store. We would, on occasion, receive a faxed service
request from a large national service company. If it was a service
request we felt we could handle, then we would respond to the fax saying
essentially, "We'll do it." Our service guy (me, in some cases) would
then visit the client and perform the required on-site task. We handled
maybe 1-3 of these types of requests each month and we never visited the
same client twice, so there was absolutely no continuity in service. It
was also always the case that we never understood the whole picture and
only had our little piece of the puzzle to work with. I hated those, but
it was good paid service work.

To counter the "downside", it's quite possible that Ameritech make
extensive use of remote control, which will help to limit the on-site
requirements...Something else to ask of any Ameritech customers you get
in touch with.

All-in-all, if you're ok with the likely case of no continuity in your
on-site server techs (perhaps if you have your own tech-saavy person to
handle stuff after the initial install), then from the looks of it, this
company might have some good potential. I hope you can find some paying
customers to talk with!

Chad

Chad Neeper