[OPLINTECH] Problem roaming to a Linksys 54GP

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Fri Feb 20 12:20:21 EST 2009

We have 2 Linksys Wireless G access points with power over ethternet
(model WAP54GP), plus one cheaper Linksys G access point with no PoE
(WAP54G), plugged into a Linksys gigabit 8-port switch with power over
ethernet.  These three AP's are set with the same SSID, and are on
channels 1, 6, and 11.  I can roam from any AP to the WAP54G, but when I
try to roam to one of the WAP54GP's, here's what happens: My radio
connects to the new AP, and the AP I'm connected to responds to my
pings, but I can't do anything else on the network: I can't ping my
gateway or do anything else.  This happens if I have a static IP address
or if I'm set up with DHCP.  Other laptops can use this AP just fine as
long as they didn't just move from being connected to another AP.

(Strangely, and contrary to everything else I've seen, one time I got an
IP address through DHCP while I think I was connected to the second AP,
but then could do nothing on the network after that including pinging my
gateway.  It was a DHCP address, not one of those 169. addresses your
computer comes up with if DHCP doesn't respond.)

After I see that I can't do any network stuff while connected to the
second AP, I've tried shutting down the laptop, turning it back on, and
trying again, but this doesn't help.  If I wait a while, like maybe 20
minutes, and then try things again on the second AP, everything's fine.

Any thoughts on this?  Again, my cheaper AP does not have this problem.
  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Phil
--

Phil Shirley