[OPLINTECH] How do you handle Internet filtering

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Wed Feb 25 11:50:05 EST 2009

While we choose to not filter at CCPL, I think that you are approaching
things the wrong way.  If the issue is that patrons are viewing
inappropriate content you can't tell me that Facebook does not have just
as much and there are just as many rogue scripts/problems out there.

What you are describing is a need for capable antivirus/antispyware
/machine reset software to eliminate the necessity and worry of such
scripts or malicious content.  We use Trend and DeepFreeze.

The second part of it is staff training and security issues.  If patrons
are accessing such content they should be instructed by library staff to
move off the site or out of the branch and be banned if they become a
problem.  Your local police department should be more than happy to
assist and remove those who do not comply because when they are viewing
such sites in public it does become a CIPA issue.  There is no
substitution for staff intervention unfortunately other than completely
blocking the internet as they have done in the State Library.

Blocking social networking sites is doing a disservice to your patrons
and preventing them from in this day and age of possibly making critical
connections that may assist in employment or information retrieval.

Jim Kenzig
Network Manager
Cuyahoga County Public Library
Administrative Offices